Crunchy Lemon Cake
Cake tin – deep 7 inch round or 2 lb loaf tin
- 4 oz Softened Butter
- 6 oz Caster Sugar
- 6 oz Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 1 Lemon – grated rind
- 1 Lemon – juiced
- 4 oz Granulated Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC / fan 160oC / gas 4. Butter the cake tin then line twice with non-stick baking parchment
- Measure all the ingredients for the cake into a bowl (except the lemon rind) and beat well for at least 2 minutes until smooth and well blended. Add the lemon rind and beat with a spoon to incorporate (this stops the rind getting caught on the beater / whisk blades). Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until the cake is golden brown, has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed in the centre with a finger.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the crunchy topping. Squeeze the juice from the lemon then remove the pips, keep any fleshy bits of lemon in the juice. In a separate bowl measure the sugar.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, add the juice to the sugar, give it a quick stir to mix then pour this over the lemon cake whilst still hot. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
- Once completely cool, turn the cake out and peel off the parchment.
Can be served with clotted cream and summer berries. Keeps well for a couple of days as it remains very moist.
For an extra tang, grate the rind of 2 lemons but still only use 1 lemon for the topping.